The Yarra Valley Climate Action Group (YVCAG) is composed of citizens from various walks of life who are deeply concerned about the threat to Humanity and the Biosphere in general from man-made global warming arising from greenhouse gas pollution.
We attempt through a variety of creative actions to INFORM others about the Climate Emergency and Sustainability Emergency facing the Planet and to suggest sensible, workable and timely SOLUTIONS to fellow citizens, including Government at the Local, State and Federal level.
For further information and to join YVCAG contact Gideon Polya, Secretary.
We have linked ourselves with a national Australian umbrella association, the Climate Emergency Network (CEN), with which many other Australian Climate Action Groups are now associated.
Our position in relation to the Climate Emergency are those of the Climate Emergency Network (CEN) as set out in CEN News and reproduced below (for further details and very useful links see: http://www.climateemergencynetwork.org/ ) :
Climate Emergency Network (CEN) position on Global Warming, the Climate Emergency and Sustainability Emergency
The Danger We Face
We have examined the latest science (1) and symptoms of global warming. The imminent disintegration of the Arctic ice is an alarming indicator of rapid climate change. Our Earth is already too hot. The danger is now, and accelerating. We are extremely concerned that the current targets in relation to carbon emissions are dangerously inadequate and will expose our world to unacceptable risks. The window of opportunity for effective action is rapidly closing. We need to move at a pace far beyond business and politics as usual.
Our Core Values
We have no right to bargain away the lives of others. Our goal is a safe climate future for all people, all species, and all generations.
What The Global Community Must Do
The Global Community must concurrently halt man-made greenhouse gas emissions, remove excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and actively cool the Earth.
Climate Emergency Network Objectives
- All levels of all governments across the globe must recognise and work together to fulfil their responsibility to secure a safe climate; it is their moral and legal duty-of-care to their citizens.
- Underpinned by legislation, governments must lead a large scale transformation of the economy to a post-carbon society.
- Given the extreme urgency and enormous scale of transformation required, governments must recognise and declare a Climate and Sustainability State of Emergency, whilst respecting basic human rights and freedoms.
- The community must be engaged in recognising and supporting the Climate Emergency. Therefore, we will work to engage citizens in taking responsibility for recognising and responding to the emergency.
The Climate Emergency Network - Who We Are
The Climate Emergency Network (CEN) is a not-for-profit, non-politically-aligned network of community organisations that are campaigning for all of the above listed objectives.
Climate Emergency Network Members and Supporters
Members of the CEN are groups and organisations who agree with and support this CEN charter. Supporters of the CEN are individuals who agree with and support this CEN charter.
(1) “Climate Code Red: The Case for a Sustainability Emergency”, Spratt and Sutton, 2008; www.climatecodered.net
CONTACT: Yarra Valley Climate Action Group (YVCAG): firstname.lastname@example.org ; Climate Emergency Network (CEN): http://www.climateemergencynetwork.org/ .
YARRA VALLEY CLIMATE ACTION GROUP
Return atmosphere carbon dioxide (CO2) to 300 parts per million (ppm) from current dangerous 392 ppm.
100% renewable energy ASAP (Beyond Zero Emissions’ ZCA 2020 Report costs 100% renewable energy by 2020 for Australia at $370 billion).
Cessation of greenhouse gas (GHG) pollution, population expansion, deforestation & mass species extinction.
Carbon Tax to put proper price on GHG pollution (ETS ineffective).
Please do your bit to help save the Planet & join Yarra Valley Climate Action Group.
Why you should consider joining a Climate Action Group (CAG) e.g. Yarra Valley CAG
Professor James Hansen (top US climate scientist, Head, NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies): “We face a climate emergency.”
Professor Peter Doherty (Australian Nobel Laureate): “We are in real danger.”
Professor David de Kretser AC (Governor of Victoria): “There is no doubt in my mind that this is the greatest problem confronting mankind at this time and that it has reached the level of a state of emergency.”
Intergenerational equity means we must preserve our Planet for our children and grandchildren.
Joining Yarra Valley CAG means
· solidarity under our big YVCAG Banner at public demonstrations (e.g. Walk Against Warming & Human Sign events)
· e-mail notification about new developments & events
· notification of regular public talks on Climate Change Facts & Solutions sponsored by YVCAG
· as much or as little as you have time for – you can tell your children & grandchildren that you have acted for the future of their Planet.YVCAG meets on the first Monday of each month at the Community Room, Watsonia Library, Ibbotson Street, Watsonia (next to Watsonia Railway Station, Melways Map 20 E4) at 7.30 pm. Contact Gideon Polya, Secretary.